Tuesday 17 January 2012

Nightmares and the bear that almost got me

What makes us wake up one day and begin living our lives differently than the previous day? Sure, maybe people don’t stick with their New Year’s resolutions or to the promises made to loved ones that today will be the last cigarette. And maybe our public announcements that we are writing a book (um…why yes, it is continuing to write itself!) don’t quite act as the catalyst of change we were hoping for. But sometimes, for some reason, something clicks and we change the way we are living. For real. And for good.

I imagine that a near-death experience might be an impetus for change. Or an actual death – of a loved one or even a stranger, someone you saw every morning at the newsstand as you walked by with a coffee on your way to work.  Then again, like so much of life, there might be the ironic twist that perhaps such events cause a person to remain static, stuck like a deer in headlights, in life.

While traveling and living abroad, I’ve had enough experiences during which I thought I might not make it to see the next day’s sunrise. Any time I was in a car in the Philippines, I considered the possibility of death. My boyfriend at the time and I would sit in the backseat, stare straight ahead in fear and hold hands tightly. There was one point where we leaned in and confessed our love to each other, whispering intimately amidst whatever chaos we felt was going to soon kill us.

Then there was the time in Japan. I was living on the north island of Hokkaido and decided to go hiking alone one weekend. I drove to a trailhead where I saw a lot of signs posted around the parking lot but no other cars. Since I was just learning to very slowly read only simple Japanese, I didn’t want to spend the time to decipher the gist of the signs. So I ignored them. It was about 30 minutes into my hike that I heard the first sound. A low grumble that proceeded to get louder and louder until I realized: there was a bear in the woods on the right side of the trail. Slowly, I turned around and without looking back walked the very long 30 minutes back to my car. I got in, locked the doors, and realized my entire body was shaking. That’s when I read the signs, which stated emphatically: Warning! Bears! People don’t enter! (Or something like that.)  Death-by-bear escape #1.

There was only one time abroad as a child that I felt death nearly grab me. I used to go to the Caribbean with my family when I was growing up. I played on the beach a lot and adored the water. But once a wave hit me while I wasn’t paying attention, and I was hurtled and spun around underwater without knowing which way was up. At that time, I could feel my body moving fast but my mind slowing down. It was like watching baby bunnies slowly hopping about while listening to hardcore music: totally disparate and unexpected yet oddly heightening the senses. I thought I was going to die. Clearly, I didn't.

For me, the actual momentous impetus didn’t happen with any of these or other near-death experiences; it came in a dream. Well, more like from a series of nightmares over the course of a few nights. And no, I did not finally let my love of Frankenstein and Mary Shelley get the better of me. Because, again, this isn’t about the changing of my writing habits at all -- “I write when the spirit moves me”, ya'll -- but rather about my financial future. And let me be honest and tell you this: those were some dark nightmares I had. Like locked in the basement of a nursing home at the age of 5 kind of dark.

However, we all wake up, don’t we?  After my subconscious found a way to turn the idea of my financial planning – which consists of little more than cotton candy and crayon drawings – into horror-filled scenes of the future, I woke up: literally and figuratively. I tend to forget that the catalyst to any change I ever want to make is simply me. We have the control to remake our habits, to take at least some step to be the person we want to become, to act in ways we admire. “Our own life has to be our message.” We shouldn’t rely on other people to propel us toward this, shouldn’t wait for an accident to push us into action. It takes effort to change and to start that change now. But I want to live in a way that won’t give me nightmares.



Quotes courtesy of William Faulkner and Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments:

Post a Comment