Sunday 26 February 2012

Aaaaand…we’re back!


Yes, I’ve been back in Malawi for quite some time now, but I haven’t had much time to write.

First of all, before I got here, I had all that packing to do. Packing takes time. Packing for Malawi takes more time. As many people don’t know, it gets cold here in the winter (June and July), which I wasn’t prepared for last year. Thus, more sweaters got packed.  The government is also in a crisis with its foreign currency supply, meaning there is very little, so there is a chance that supplies of things I generally use might not be available. And if I can find them, there will be a much higher markup now for imported goods. Who wants to pay $10 for a bottle of Fructis conditioner? Not I. Conditioner and shampoo got packed. Then there are the items I know I can’t get here, like a certain type of multi-vitamin and Starbucks coffee (both equally important!). Still more things to pack. And then I weigh the suitcases, take items out, repack, reweigh, until finally both suitcases are filled and weigh exactly the weight allowed by the airline. It’s a process.

Is it sad that I actually think this is fun? (Don't answer that.)


Now, packing is easy compared to saying good-bye. Although I only cried the first time I left to live abroad 12 years ago, leaving is always bittersweet.

Quality time with people I love makes it harder to leave.


And then there’s the time-consuming trip back. This time, I left around 10 a.m. on Sunday and arrived at my apartment in Blantyre around noon on Wednesday. 




Near the end of the lengthy travel, I look out the window of the plane, as it nears landing in Malawi, and I am reminded what a beautiful country it is. (The below picture really does not do it justice.)






Now, it's a new semester, with new students and new lessons to write.  With 65+ students in each class I teach, you can imagine how time-consuming reading even short assignments can be. And I know many of you love to read the hilarious errors that are written in assignments, but today I’ve decided to show you some of the English that I’ve found elsewhere.

We'll start with my hand soap. 

Notice that it not only "protects" but also "smoothens." I just don't think 'smoothens' should be a word, especially not paired with 'protects.' It sounds too much like a condom package.





Next up, a truck. I'm still trying to guess the intended meaning of this statement in the context of a truck's tailgate. Is someone attesting to the truck's own strength, separate from the strength of the men in the back?





And finally, the message that a very caring tissue company wants to share with me.


I'd prefer not to have anything blown into me, thanks. And having things drop off of me, well, sounds like I need a doctor, not just a tissue.


Yup, it's good to be back.
 



1 comment:

  1. I would guess that the message on the truck is religious.

    I'm actually missing Malawi!

    ReplyDelete