Monday 24 October 2011

Malawi in pictures

The daily complications of living in another country and culture sometimes blind me from seeing what is around me. Every so often, I need a reminder of the beauty of life here (or anywhere, for that matter), with all its complexity, unpretentiousness, variation, and commonality.  



Palms with mountain in the background. View from town.









Farm stand outside of town



Transporting sugar cane.




Small abodes with satellite dishes.



DOOM! For those pesky cockroaches.




'Personal Appearance Odds & Ends': Classic




Lovely scene from the north end of town.




Fresh fruits and veggies sold from the sidewalk in town.



Gardens of a hotel.




My classroom.




Trash thrown into the stream.




Football/soccer fans rushing the field after Malawi beat Togo.



Music and dancing for the tourists.




Too close for comfort. I'm not a fan of crocs.




Scene just outside of town.



Along the Shire River.








I really do heart hippos.




The number of coffin shops is staggering.




I love Lake Malawi, particularly in the north.




Yum.



Zebras are beautiful.




One of many tea estates.




Sunset on the Shire River.







Watching soccer, greeting each other, carrying a bag on one's head. Very much Malawi.




The Lake is so peaceful.



No comments:

Post a Comment