Tuesday 5 March 2013

Founding fathers and Post-it notes


Days: 9 & 10
Countdown: 32…31...
Suggestions: Enroll in writing course; reread the Constitution


I refuse to accept that having alcohol and sundaes for dinner two days in a row had anything to do with my getting the flu a few days later.

However, as result of said flu, I haven’t left my apartment for four days. During this time, I’ve texted nearly everyone I know, with the tacit plea of ‘Please amuse me, I’m so bored!’ Yea, I’m sure everyone has appreciated that. Sorry?

In between naps, feverish dreams, and mindless spacing out, I’ve actually been trying to do things. Important, adult things, like my taxes and responding to work emails. And not so serious things like watching the worst movie ever made starring David Tennant. (Note: David Tennant’s sex appeal = time well spent, regardless of how bad a movie is.)

Yes, it's as bad as it looks.

I have even (barely) managed to do a couple more of the suggestions on my 40-Before-40 List: 1) sign up for an online writing class and 2) reread the Constitution.

I won’t bore you with the simple details of signing up for the writing course at UCLA. And at the moment, since my head still feels like it’s a giant lead ball, I won’t attempt to write anything cogent about the Constitution.

So I'm going to write about Post-it notes, in relation to the Amendments. Sort of.

When I think of the Amendments made to the Constitution over time, I think of how fortunate I am to live in a country where such changes can be made and where -- as  cliché as this sounds -- one person really can make a difference. And now, I also think of Post-it notes.

Last week, one or more students secretively posted positive affirmations, on Post-it notes, all over the school’s walls. Although this furtive undertaking was a surprise for the rest of the school the next morning, it was not surprising. These young women are changing and are going to change the world for the better. 

What these young women already know is that changes don't just happen, they are created. Whether it's a community river cleanup, a refusal to change seats on a bus, or a march on Washington, changes are made. We just have to choose to help make them. Even if it's one Post-it at a time.











No comments:

Post a Comment