Saturday 20 August 2011

Sometimes There Are No Signs

Sometimes people wait to do something -- start a new hobby or stop a bad habit -- because they are waiting for the 'right' moment to do so. Perhaps they are waiting for the first day of a new month or their next birthday or a solar eclipse; maybe they're holding off until they see a clear sign, like an enormous boulder in the middle of the road after a landslide, one that impedes their usual route.

Most of the time, however, we shouldn't wait for any 'right' moment.  We should just jump in and begin. Thus, I'm starting this blog on a random day, with no signs, no momentous events, no aligned stars, and no mathematical symmetry related to today in anyway.

Mostly, I'm starting it today because: 1) I'm getting tired of some of my friends telling me I should start a blog and 2) I am hating on ETS today.

Well, I guess I can't hate ETS too much since they are part of the catalyst for this blog's fruition. However, I can still despise standardized tests and loathe the fact that ETS deletes GRE scores after five years.  So here I am studying once again. Okay, who am I kidding, I never studied for the GRE the first time, which was, I must admit, well over five years ago. 

So, after 30 minutes of reading about fractions and remembering how to add, subtract, multiply and divide them plus some other stuff I've already forgotten, I decided to do something much more self-indulgent. Thus, Heidi Go Seek is born. (Thanks, Dan, for naming my blog!)


3 comments: