Sunday 17 February 2013

40 Before 40

 
“Start a bar fight,” two friends separately suggested to me the day before I was to break a board with my bare fist as part of my first Tae Kwon Do belt test.

Although I’ve been asking for suggestions for my 40-Before-40 List, I think people have been misunderstanding the purpose. I’m not creating a Bucket List; the 40-Before-40 List is different. It is not a list of things to do before I die; rather, it’s a way to commemorate the entrance into a new decade, doing something challenging, entertaining, or celebratory each day.

“Think me but less violent,” I said, not knowing that the next day I’d be icing a swollen and bruised knuckle from punching a board in half on my first try. Mostly, I should have added, the thing I do each day should have some positive result, whether it’s one of simple childhood joy via, for example, roller-skating (spoiler alert) or one of making other people happy. Starting a fight with a bunch of drunk people doesn’t exactly fit into the positive-result schema.

Besides, in what seems like another lifetime, I once started a bar fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment