Tuesday 26 February 2013

Daniel Craig Tuesdays


Day: 3
Countdown: 38
Suggestion: Learn how to make a martini

I get home from work, slip out of my heels, and put on some bossa nova. With a sigh, I collapse onto the couch and am immediately handed a martini, which I sip casually, as my stress slips away.

Okay, so this is how it really happened today:

4 pm: While still at work, decide to eschew all of my friends’ suggestions for a daily 40-Before-40 event and try to think of something else instead.

5 pm: Drive to the local liquor store and walk around for 15 minutes wondering where the vermouth is kept while wiry, middle-aged clerk occasionally looks up.




5:15: Find vermouth on a dusty bottom shelf, grouped with other seldom-bought bottles.

5:20: Look at gin options. Choose Hendrick’s while wishing I were back in Malawi where I could buy awesome, smooth Malawian gin for the price of bottled water.



5:25: While leaving the store, I start to read a text from a friend and nearly run into a guy on a motorized wheelchair cruising down the sidewalk. “So sorry,” I say, “I wasn’t looking where I was going at all!” He continues cruising and only responds with, “YOU’RE GORGEOUS!”

5:28: Contemplate apologizing more often to random guys on the street. 

6:30: Buy martini glasses, shaker set, and olives.

10 pm: Arrive home from Tae Kwon Do class and proceed to not make martini but to eat an embarrassing number of olives from jar.

10:05: Realize that although I know what a martini consists of and what props to buy to make it, I actually have no idea how to proceed.

10:06: Stare at ingredients and think about just drinking a huge shot of gin while eating the entire bottle of olives.



10:07: Forego previous desire and Google ‘how to make a martini.’ Proceed, realizing how utterly simple it is to make a martini and wonder why I have never done this before. Thank myself for turning 40 soon.







10:09: Continue to be classy and eat olives out of jar. Realize I never ate dinner today. Shrug and pick up martini.



10:10:  Drink slowly while mentally planning ‘50s-theme parties and Bond marathons, then just start thinking about Daniel Craig.

11 pm: Write this and contemplate making another martini. It is Tuesday, after all, and Tuesdays should be special just like any other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment