Wednesday 27 February 2013

Vanilla ice cream is not boring



Day: 4
Countdown: 37
Suggestion: Dessert for dinner


 Yesterday, my dinner was a martini. Today's is dessert. Please don't judge me.

Life in the U.S. can easily be devoid of challenge. It’s easy to get dulled into a daily routine, and it takes a lot of effort to resist that. For me, the easier and cushier my daily life is, the more I struggle to push myself out of my comfort zone and challenge myself. I also have noticed that the longer I live here, the more I tend not to take advantage of all that surrounds me. That is why today when my co-worker chose for me the item on my list “eat dessert for dinner” (thanks, Sarah, for this suggestion), I got excited about all that I have available to me: endless options of desserts to make, buy, decorate, bake.

Not only can I eat dessert for dinner, I can decide which of thousands of options to make. I have a cupboard filled with baking ingredients. I have an oven, pans, a cake decorating kit. And if I don’t have something I need, I can go out and buy it at the store which is a quick 5-minute drive away. How spoiled am I? I can have whatever dessert I want. And for dinner.

And after all that excitement of having so many dessert choices, I went with a classic favorite:



Classic #1: Blondie


















Classic #2: Vanilla ice cream






























Classic #3: Chocolate sauce
  
   
Classic finish: Whipped cream and sprinkles



                    And there's more... 









...for fun.

I compare the time it took me to do this with how long it would have taken me to make the same dessert in Malawi, dependent upon: no sugar shortage, no electricity cuts, no forex shortage that prevented importing nearly everything needed to make this!

So even when I'm not too challenged by life here -- clearly eating dessert for dinner is not difficult! -- I want to make certain that I appreciate all the choices available to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment